The Underwriter works closely with the Business Development Manager/sales team and external brokers to put together insurance policies / programs tailored to the client's needs. This includes the identification, placement and management of appropriate insurance arrangements on an annual basis. In essence, this is Underwriting.
- Ensuring that all insurance coverage provided is within underwriting guidelines and delegations
- Ensuring underwriting and placement underpins the company’s risk retention strategy and protects clients exposures
- Providing advice to Brokers as appropriate, on the technical aspects of insurance coverage for the delegated product range
- A key role is to build relationship with brokers and clients to ensure good risks are retained in the portfolio.
- As a member of the Underwriting Team, the Underwriter is responsible for providing advice and information to the Claims Team, Senior Underwriters and Management on issues and trends
- The Underwriter may also work closely with the Underwriting Manager to facilitate the introduction and application of new insurance products into the broking market
- A successful and proven record in the management of insurance products, underwriting concepts and claims management imperatives
- Ability to ensure quality of underwriting activities is within limitations and authority levels and to accept or reject risks or alterations within company guidelines and standards
- Demonstrated expertise in insurance matters pertaining to appropriate coverage for clients supported by extensive technical knowledge of the insurance industry
- Superior interpersonal, negotiation and communication skills with the ability to positively engage an audience, challenge traditional orthodoxy and tenaciously pursue opportunities for client improvement and capability development
- A professional consulting services approach to the business, with demonstrated commercial acumen and superior intellect and skills in business analysis
- Tertiary qualifications in Business, Commerce, Insurance or Risk Management
- Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance qualifications