The Barry.Nilsson. YIPs Next Generation Insurance Leader Award has been established to recognise business and leadership potential, and encourage and support the career development of young insurance professionals throughout Australia and New Zealand.
Submission Requirements and Proposed Topic
Entrants must submit a written paper/essay exploring one of the following six topics. The structure of the submission is at the discretion of the entrant. Please refer to the judging criteria for guidance on what to include in your submission.
- Customer engagement: Explore the marketing tactics and reputation of insurance professionals and insurance companies in the digital age.
- Culture: Unconscious bias in the insurance industry – what is the impact and what are the solutions?
- Royal Commission: What impact will the findings have? What can insurance companies do to rebuild trust with their customers?
- Data: How can we use data analytics to capture better risk insights and reengineer the claims process?
- Technology: Technology-based versus judgement-based decisions in the claims process – what are the implications?
- Known unknowns: What will the industry look like in 10 years? What will be the next asbestos?
Who Can Enter
For your submission to be considered for the Award, all entrants must:
- work directly in a capacity connected with general insurance.
- be residents of Australia or New Zealand.
- be under the age of 35 (or if over the age of 35 have less than five years experience in the insurance industry).
- be a member of YIPs.
Entry is not open to:
- YIPs committee members or employees.
- Barry.Nilsson. employees.
- Lawyers and other service providers employed in capacities other than as direct employees of an insurer or insurance broker.
- Anyone over the age of 35 or those with more than five years experience in the insurance industry (as at the submission date).
The winner of the award will receive:
- Cash prize of AUD $5,000
- Commemorative trophy
- Invitation to sit on the judging panel for the 2020 award.
YIPs will be covering the costs of flights and accommodation for three finalists to attend the Next Gen Insurance Leader Gala Ball.
- No more than 2,000 words (excluding any foot/endnotes, block quotations and the bibliography).
- Submission format:
○ Text: Arial; size 10pt; justified
○ Line spacing: 1.5
○ Papers must be submitted in MS
○ Word format only.
○ The file must be named as follows: firstname_surname.doc (e.g.: john_ smith.doc).
- Submission must include a cover sheet containing the following information:
○ Title of award
○ Full name
○ Name of employer
○ Phone number
○ Email address
○ Topic chosen
○ Word count (excluding footnotes, bibliography and cover sheet)
○ Submission date
- Submissions must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Monday, 15 July 2019.
- No submissions will be accepted by fax or post.
Each submission will be assessed based on the following criteria:
- Understanding of chosen topic.
- Innovative thinking and ideas expressed.
- Clearly documented commercial application, purpose and outcome.
- Clarity of thought.
- Use of external resources and appropriate referencing.
- Written presentation, formatting and submission.
The three finalists, and ultimately the winner, will be selected by a five person judging panel comprising:
- Two YIPs Australasian committee members including the YIPs Australasian President.
- Two senior Insurance & Health lawyers from Barry.Nilsson.
- A guest judge operating in the insurance industry.
Submissions close: 5pm on Monday, 22 July 2019
Finalists announced: Friday, 26 July 2019
Winner announced: Saturday, 17 August 2019 at the Next Gen Insurance Leader Gala Ball
Join us to celebrate at the Next Gen Insurance Leader Gala Ball, where the winner will also be announced!
Date: Saturday, 17 August 2019
Venue: Emporium Hotel | South Bank, Brisbane
YIPs will be covering the cost of flights and accommodation for the three finalists to attend.
Download the PDF submissions guideline here