Now in its second year, the YIPs and Barry.Nilsson. Next Gen Insurance Leader Award recognises business and leadership potential, and encourages and supports the career development of young insurance professionals throughout Australia and New Zealand.
Submission Requirements and Proposed Topic
To be eligible for this award, entrants must submit a written paper/essay exploring one (1) of the following six topics.
The structure of the submission is at the discretion of the entrant. Please refer to the judging criteria for guidance on what to include in your submission.
- Global epidemics and insurance: What are the potential impacts of coverage when an infectious disease has been declared a pandemic?
- Ethics in a crisis: When a catastrophic event occurs should the standard response be limited to contractual obligations, leaving humanitarian relief to government and NFP’s, or is there an ethical obligation for insurers to do more for their customers? Where is the line and how can insurers ensure they aren’t perceived as a roadblock to recovery?
- Zero or Hero: How can Brokers and/or Insurers better their crisis management offerings to Clients during times of emergency?
- Class actions: Class actions are on the rise in number, size and potential cost. Are these an opportunity for justice or a high return asset class for sophisticated investors?
- The future of insurance: What are the potential trends that will shape (or reshape) the insurance industry in the next decade?
- Future Trust: Insurance is built upon a framework of the Utmost Good Faith – what can we do to build upon and maintain trust in the future?
Who Can Enter
For your submission to be considered for the Award, all entrants must:
- Directly work in a capacity connected with general insurance. Eligible YIPs members are encouraged to apply.
- Be under the age of 35, or have less than five years’ experience in the insurance industry (as at the submission date).
- Be a member of YIPs.
- Must be residents of Australia or New Zealand.
Entry is not open to:
- YIPs executive committee members.
- Those over the age of 35, or entrants with more than 5 years' experience in the insurance industry.
The winner of the award will receive:
- Cash prize of AUD $5,000
- Commemorative trophy
- Invitation to sit on the judging panel for the 2021 award.
- No more than 2,000 words (excluding any foot/endnotes, block quotations and the bibliography).
- Submission format:
○ Text: Arial; size 10pt; justified
○ Line spacing: 1.5
○ Papers must be submitted in MS Word format only.
○ The file must be named as follows: firstname_surname.doc (e.g.: john_ smith.doc).
- Submission must include a cover sheet (download from yips.org.au/)
- Submissions must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Friday, 2 October 2020.
- No submissions will be accepted by fax or post.
Each submission will be assessed based on the following criteria:
- Understanding of chosen topic.
- Innovative thinking and ideas expressed.
- Clearly documented commercial application, purpose and outcome.
- Clarity of thought.
- Use of external resources and appropriate referencing.
- Written presentation, formatting and submission.
The three finalists, and ultimately the winner, will be selected by a six person judging panel comprising:
- Katie Stephenson, Australasian President - YIPs
- Jackson McDonald, Australasian Vice- President - YIPs
- Simon Black, Principal - Barry.Nilsson.
- Hubert Wajszel, Principal - Barry.Nilsson.
- Michael Babington, Casualty and Financial Lines Claims Manager - Chubb Insurance
- Emma Matteson (2019 Winner),Underwriter, - Gen Re
Submissions close: Friday, 2 October 2020
Finalists announced: Friday, 16 October 2020
Winner announced: Thursday, 22 October 2020
We are all doing things a little differently in 2020 and unfortunately, the Gala Ball is no exception. The Next Gen Award will be announced virtually to allow YIPs members from across Australia and New Zealand to attend.